• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

72/55 speeding ticket in VA, traffic school an option?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Goddenport

What is the name of your state? Virginia

On November 30 I got a speeding ticket in Buckingham County going toward Farmville at 11:15 p.m. I was following my boyfriend who was in front of me. I have been known to have car trouble in winter weather so I wanted to make sure that he could see me in case something went wrong. A patrol car came from the opposite direction, turned around and pulled us over a few miles down the road. He had used radar to clock my boyfriend's speed as 68/55 and mine as 72/55. This is my first offense and he knows of my car trouble as the car had to be jump started after being pulled over. He said that if I go to the summons, there is a high likelihood of getting the charge reduced as I had a clean record up to this point. I am from out of state (SC) as is my boyfriend (NC). He chose to pay the fine without attending the summons but I am planning on appearing in hopes of having my ticket reduced. I am hoping that traffic school will be an option, but is that option void after appearing at the summons or can I still go after that point? Also, am I able to pick the date to attend traffic school or does the court decide that for me? I also have previously received a warning, but no ticket was issued. Will the warning be brought up at the summons?

S

seniorjudge

I think that all the questions you need answered will be on the ticket you got. There is probably a phone number you can call.

lwpat

Virginia Traffic School

Some states will not allow an out of state driver to take traffic school but I am not sure about Virginia. Call the clerk of court and ask. Traffic school will only help if they do not report the ticket back to SC. Be sure to have that understanding and you might want to confirm it in writing. What one clerk tells you another may not do.

Many courts in Virginia are accepting online traffic school but you need permission form the court. Here is a link for more info
http://www.trafficschoolonline.com/?lcode=4013

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">