• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrong address from Traffic Court

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

group_theory

What is the name of your state? PA

Received a letter in the mail today - wasn't addressed to my name but it was my address. It only had a PO Box as a return address so I opened it to see what it was about.

Turns out it was a "72 hour arrest notification" from traffic court for the person listed on the letter (I don't even know this person and this person certainly doesn't live here)

Apparently this person failed to pay fines as well as failed to show up to court, resulting in a bench warrant. Judging by his violations (no insurance, operate w/o license, etc) this person most likely gave a false address (my guess).

I'll try calling Traffic Court to see if I can resolve this issue (probably not) but what would you do if you were in my shoes.

Additional info
Address is a house, not apartment
The "date of violation" listed, I was living at this address for a couple years already so it is not a case of him living here and moving away (at least with regards to this violation)
I posted here instead of the other forum because according to the traffic court website, it only deals with "moving violations" - if I made a mistake in posting to the wrong forum, I apologize in advance

In the end, the nice warrant officer will probably show up at the door, and I'll show him/her my ID and let him/her search the house to show the officer that I'm not hiding anyone. It's just annoying and time-consuming.

So what would you do if you were in this situation?

Thank you for your time and I look forward to hearing your response. Cheers!!

Bravo8

I'd suggest contacting the court like you planned and explaining the situation. They may refer you to the issuing officer, in which case you explain the situation to him / her.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">