• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Housing after seperation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lkierys

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?Illinois
I am the building manager for an apartment/commercial complex; 54 units total. Part of my pay is for my apartment.
The company has been sold and I work for the new owners who have honored the arrangement for the past six months. The situation is getting "dicey" between my employer and myself.
If I quit or get fired, are they able to evict me within days, or do I have an opportunity to find suitable housing elsewhere. I don't want to do anything rash until I have some sort of time frame.
Thanks for your time in advance.

pattytx

What does your employment agreement or company policy say? What do they say when you ask them?

To my knowledge, there is no legal requirement that they continue to let you live there. They may, however, offer you a conversion to a rent-paying tenant, but they don't have to. You may want to line up alternative housing into which you could move quickly in case it is necessary.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">