• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

fee statement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

grannylady

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?
Nevada
What is the name of your state?
Nevada

I received a bill for services rendered from an attorney that no longer represent me. I have requested an itemized statement for the fees numerous times and requested a copy of any file he may have on my case and he has refused to give me the statement or copy of the file. I question his fees. I have settled the caseand his name is on the settlement check alone with mine.
How do I go about getting him to give me an itemized statement of the fees
he has charged? I have filed a complaint with the State Bar of Nevada but
have not heard from them. If they cannot help me can I file a complaint with
the court? small claims or civil? Amount is less than $1,000 but more than
$5,000.

Dandy Don

Have you cashed the check yet and has this attorney been paid yet?

If you have another attorney representing you, he can get the file for you if you ask him to, but other attorney is probably withholding this file until you pay to make sure he gets his money. You do have the right to request an itemized statement.

Did you sign a fee agreement with him when you first hired him?

You have no reason to go to small claims court about anything since you have not been damaged. For what reason would you be asking for money from him?

grannylady

i am not asking for money. i want an itemized statement and proof of what i am being charged for. with that information i will be satisfied to pay him. i was asking about how to get a itemized statement from him. he had sent my a itemized statement that i have not received yet, but not my file. the file should have been released to me at the time that i dismissed him as my attorney. has been done before. how will i know what he has done? and there may be something that would have been useful to me in settleing my case.

divgradcurl

Wait for the bar to get back to you:

"If it is determined that your complaint is basically a fee dispute, we will forward the forms which are utilized for the filing of a complaint with the Fee Dispute Arbitration Committee. If the Committee, after making its determination, finds that this matter should be further explored by the Disciplinary Board, it will then be reviewed by this office for ethics violations.

The investigation and review process can take as little as one month or as long as six months or more. You will be kept informed of the status of the matter as it progresses. You should recognize, however, that the Board cannot and does not give legal advice, does not have jurisdiction over damage or malpractice claims against attorneys and cannot alter or affect in any way the outcome of private legal matters in court. If you need additional work or advice on your case, you must obtain the assistance of your own private attorney. The investigation and review process, and the findings of the Board, are kept confidential and cannot be used in any other proceeding unless the matter becomes public under Supreme Court rules."

If it's been more than a month since you filed your complaint, try and contact them again.

Dandy Don

You are making this more complicated than it needs to be. If he did not keep a separate record of billable hours, then he won't be able to provide it now, and having that information (an itemized statement) will not help you in any way. You haven't said whether you signed a fee agreement with him. You are paying for his legal expertise and if he has done the job then you need to be fair and pay for the services you have received.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">