• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Attorney not doing his hjob!!!!!!!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

golden age mom

What is the name of your state? Mississippi
I retained an attorney over 10 years ago to settle my late grandmothers estate. At the time there were 7 people involved in getting 20 acres of land divided. Since then all of the heirs have died all but 2, now there will probably be 35 people involved in this estate , i own 6 acres in this estate and 1 more person involved has 7 acres out of this . The rest is to be divided between the others, but no one will agree to anything. The agreement between the attorney and myself was that he settle the estate and everyone would have to pay for the court cost.
Since he has done nothing in this case in over 10 years ,what can i do?
Thanks'
golden age mom

golden age mom

attorney not doing his job

golden age mom said:
What is the name of your state? Mississippi
I retained an attorney over 10 years ago to settle my late grandmothers estate. At the time there were 7 people involved in getting 20 acres of land divided. Since then all of the heirs have died all but 2, now there will probably be 35 people involved in this estate , i own 6 acres in this estate and 1 more person involved has 7 acres out of this . The rest is to be divided between the others, but no one will agree to anything. The agreement between the attorney and myself was that he settle the estate and everyone would have to pay for the court cost.
Since he has done nothing in this case in over 10 years ,what can i do?
Thanks'
golden age mom[/QUOTE
How do i terminate him, since i signed a contract with him to handle the case and the fee would be divided between the heirs?

golden age mom

Mississippi,
How do i terminate the attorney not doing his job, since i signed a contract with him to handle the case, in which the attorney fees were to come form the heirs in settling the case?
Thanks,
golden age mom

S

seniorjudge

"...The agreement between the attorney and myself was that he settle the estate and everyone would have to pay for the court cost...."

Go to his office, fire him, get your file, get a new attorney.

Dandy Don

Be fair and pay him what he is due for the work he has already done. It's not his fault that the heirship turned out to be more complicated than expected.

He CAN'T "settle" the estate if the heirs won't agree to anything!! They would be more likely to agree/settle if the property was sold and everyone received financial compensation for their share.

golden age mom

dandy dan,
Why should i pay him for something that he has not done? He knew the situation when he accepted the job, he even knew all the family. His assistant got it before a judge ,the judge ask for him to submit two documents and he would divide the estate, but he wouldn't even do this.
As for selling the land and dividing the money , we wanted to do this, but the heirs will not agree to this.
So here we are paying taxes on something that is doing no one any good.
golden age mom

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">