• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fire in my rented apartment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

rpeter

I had a small fire in my apartment in August and one of the first things I asked the property manager was how much of the damages would i have to pay for. She replied that the property was covered by her insurance and that any of my things damaged in the fire would be my problem. That was in August. Now, after the carpet and flooring in the kitchen had to be changed (that is replaced the damaged carpet and flooring) i get this bill for $4000 telling me that i am reponsible for the expenses. I am not sure what do i do?? Am i legally required to pay her knowing that she has property insurance. Thanks in advance.

T

Tyrone

The insurance company protects the owner. Then IT can come after YOU for the damage. You should have had renter's insurance. But argue with her and be prepared to explain how you relied on her promise there would be no responsibility to her, to your detriment.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">