• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

slip and fall on dancefloor - take two

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

destiny79

What is the name of your state? illinois

cant figure out how to reply so i'll just post again. see "slip and fall on wet dancefloor on new years eve" previous post for details......

not to worry - i don't feel "belittled" at all.

in answer - yes someone has to pay me for my pain. why suffer for free? lol hey - maybe i can sue bacardi for making the alcohol too! and the bartender for serving it to me! lol

seriously though - any REAL advice (rather than obvious statements) would be welcomed.

thanks! crista

divgradcurl

And my original reply stands. Google up "contributory negligence" and you'll understand why.
Not only that, where's the original negligence to begin with? How is anybody negligent? Can you prove that whoever you are suing:

a) knew or should have known about the liquid (probably a spilled drink) -- can you prove who notified them of the liquid, and when? Did they have enough time to clean it up between the time they were notified and the time you slipped?

And even if they were notified and had a reasonable time to clean it up before you fell, you have to prove that:

b) whoever you are suing had an obligation (duty) to clean it up -- ya gotta be able to prove up these two things in order to get anywhere to begin with.

And then, you have to prove that:

c) the spill (or liquid on the floor) is the CAUSE of your injuries -- and I think that the fact that you were drunk may make the causation not a slam dunk.

And then, even if you can prove all that, you get hit with what You Are Guilty brings up -- contributory negligence...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">