• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

evicting a tenant

• Thread starter don2net @webtv.net
  • Start date

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

don2net @webtv.net

My tenant is constantly late in paying her rental. What are the procedures in evicting a tenant? How true is it that the legal costs can be incurred to the tenant or landlord, whoever wins the court decision?

T

Tyrone

It all depends on the state you are in, and the city sometimes, and what the lease says. It can be easy, or almost an impossible nightmare as the tenant almost always has some excuse -- often made up (the toilet didn't work and I told him I'd not pay until he fixed it; he didn't paint the PICK ONE room, hall, grass; etc. If the lease says tenant pays lawyers fees, and your state allows that, then you might win a judgment for lawyer's fees. Ask a lawyer as I promise, in most tenant oriented big cities, the advantage is with the tenant.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">