• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

landlord access

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Marifran

I live in pennsylvania and am having an awful time with my landlord just unlocking my door and entering even when I am at home. He does not knock or anything. He just says "I have to check" this or that. There has never been an emergency when he enters. What can I do to stop him from doing this? It scares the hell out of me.

C

Chuck B

Read your lease carefully. See what it says. (Probably that he can enter for emergencies or to show apartment to prospective tenants after you have given notice to vacate.)

Then tell him he is NOT to enter your apartment without your specific permission absent the kind of emergency specified in the lease, and that if he does it is trespass. Tell him you are also afraid you or a friend may mistake him for a burgular and shoot him with the hunting rifle or shotgun you are thinging of getting, or your friend sometimes brings with him or her.

One quick step is to put a cheap sliding deadbold in (so you can block access when you are inside) so he can't enter when you are there. That's part of the problem solved.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">