• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

100 mph speeding ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

barristerhayesj

undefined What is the name of your state?

I am a North Carolina permanent resident, who is currently attending school at USC-Columbia, SC. On August 4, 2003, I was stopped for speeding (100mph in 70mph zone) in Newberry county, SC. I was rushing to an family emergency...no excuse...my uncle was deceased by the time I arrived anyway.

More to the point, the state of NC law mandates an automatic 1 year supension for speeding in excess of 80mph. The suspension took effect August 15, 2004. Thus, my car insurance has been cancelled and the bank is threatening to repossess my car. What is my legal recourse? Help! Can't afford an attorney. Thanks

Hayes Byrd
803/772-2976

S

seniorjudge

I would do everything I could to keep that car. If it gets repossessed, you not only will not have a car, you will have a deficiency judgment against you.

lwpat

What is my legal recourse?
It is a little late to come to a forum with that question. You missed your first legal recourse which was to contest the ticket. It is likely that a court appearance would have resulted in a reduction.

You missed you second legal recourse when you did not contest the suspension. The notice you received detailed how to request a hearing.

Now your only avenue is to contact the NC DMV and see if they have a provision where you can obtain a license to drive from home to work, school, etc. I would also suggest contacting your insurance agent to see what can be worked out to maintain insurance that will satisfy the bank. With this on your record it is likely that the insurance cost will be more than the value of the car. In that case sell the car,pay off the loan and buy a bus pass.

Last edited:
C

Christlike

Pray! Pray! Pray!

"With God, all things are possible." All that matters is that you seek the Lord. He knows what's best and works all things out for good, for those who love Him, and those who are called according to His purpose. I really feel sorry for you and I pray that things will work out for you.

Remember, a "no" answer is still an answer!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">