• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

military correctional facility

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lvn4ever

What is the name of your state?FL
if someone (Army) stationed in Georgia is sentenced to confinement by a courts martial, where is the facility to which they would go? Fort Benning no longer has a stockade. I called the MPs-they are clueless.

Can a person go to a facility maintained by another branch of the service, i.e . an Air Force facility, or a general population federal prison like Eglin AFB? I have been told that for an AWOL/desertion charge they won't send you to Levenworth, but I haven't really talked to anyone who seems to KNOW what they are talking about.

badapple40

Actually, it depends on a lot more than just the severity.

Is the individual officer or enlisted? How long is the period of confinement, as outlined in the confinement order signed off by the convening authority?

Military prisoners do not go to BOP (bureau of prisons) until such time as their appellate review is complete and their discharge executed. If the individual was sentenced to a punitive discharge, or confinement over 1 year, they are automatically entitled to an appeal of right to the service court of criminal appeals.

Classification decisions are made in accordance with the service's regulations and per DOD directive based on a host of factors.

lvn4ever

enlisted guy. hasn't turned himself in yet. Trying to provide him with as much info so he knows what to expect and GETS ON WITH WHAT HAS TO BE DONE.

There are all sorts of opinions on how severe his situation is so its all crystal ball work now...AWOL 75 days, misdemeanor possession (off base) during airborne school followed by failing the pee test. Creditors calling his commander on defaulted fed. edu. loans, spent two months DFAS pay to which he was not entitled (pd out during AWOL period)....and the hits just keep on coming......

MarineMom916

lvn4ever said:
What is the name of your state?FL
if someone (Army) stationed in Georgia is sentenced to confinement by a courts martial, where is the facility to which they would go? Fort Benning no longer has a stockade. I called the MPs-they are clueless.

Can a person go to a facility maintained by another branch of the service, i.e . an Air Force facility, or a general population federal prison like Eglin AFB? I have been told that for an AWOL/desertion charge they won't send you to Levenworth, but I haven't really talked to anyone who seems to KNOW what they are talking about.
Can an AWOL Marine who' just graduated from MCRD and only been in Camp Pendleton for about a month in training still be punished the same as someone who's been in alot longer?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">