• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

401K paperwork refusal

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chief engineer

What is the name of your state?Texas..I worked for company in Louisiana...I recently quit...I want my 401K money...they are the administrator of the 401K plaqn...they will not give me the appropriate paperwork to fill out and sign so merril lynch can close out my account...what can i do.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Not all plans allow for the immediate payout of 401k monies. What reason do they give you for not providing the paperwork?

chief engineer

401K paperwork

According to plan, and investment coordinatos, i am elgible for complete payout. Former employer is considerably reputable (big company, part of corporation). I think administrator is being evasive. Company tryed to hire me back, but i don't want it. All i want is my money. I want the paperwork to sign so they can fax to investment firm. Do they have to furnish this paperwork? Seems to me the DO. What do i do next.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You haven't answered my question. I'm not just asking for the fun of it. What reason have they given you for not providing the paperwork?

chief engineer

401K paperwork

They've given me no reason for not sending the paperwork. I was told it was sent several times, but i never received anything. Then, after i made it clear i was not going to return to their company and requested the paperwork AGAIN, they told me they would send it. Well, I haven't seen anything yet and it's been over a week now. That looks very evasive to me...Don't u think. What am I going to have to do to get the paper work so I can get my final distribution. I have a feeling once I do get the required final distribution paperwork filled-out and returned to them, they will really start to drag their feet before submitting it to the investment firm...I need to know what i am to do to have them take care of this the way they should. I want MY money.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
1.) Pick up the phone.
2.) Call whoever is the head of Benefits.
3.) Inform them that you have requested the paperwork several times and that it has not been received.
4.) POLITELY tell them that if you have not received it by Monday, you will have no recourse but to complain to the Department of Labor.
5.) Verify that they have the correct address.

chief engineer

401K Paperwork

O.K. That's what i"ll do. Worse case scenario: What if they still evade me. I'll go ahead and contact the labor board. How long does it take before the labor board acts on my behalf. I don't think i'll have to resort to calling the labor board. Nevertheless, I don't want to get into some kind of dispute. All i want is my money...All I want is for this matter to be taken care of the way it's supposed to be...No legal warfare!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
By all means go ahead and contact the DOL if they still do not send the paperwork. There is no possible way to gauge how long it will take them to act if you do - it depends entirely on how busy the local office is.

Be aware that it is totally standard for it to take at least two weeks for you to receive the check, once you submit the completed paperwork.

chief engineer

401K paperwork

O.K. Thanks for the info. I'll get back to you once I know something, see something, etc... I hope I'm just overreacting, but I don't think so. Afterall, the main reason I left the company was witnessing other situations of improper actions on their part to other employees...I was there 10 years, and things have been going-down-hill for the past two.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">