• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Seller changing terms after accepting offer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

Aaron

Hi. Bit of a quandry in Washington. House and adjacent lot were listed on MLS as a package deal. We made an offer on the house and adjacent lot as packaged, confirmed that lot was included (it's a separate tax parcel). Offer was accepted. Offer mentions both tax parcels specifically.

Several weeks later, seller (a bank owns the house, it's a repo) apparently discovers that they didn't mean to include lot with the house. They are dragging feet now, telling agent that they are going to "send an appraiser" out to look the property over before deciding to go thru with it or not. In the interim I have invested the money for the appraisal and for my own home inspector, advanced funds for application processing & etc to the mortgage company which cannot be recovered in reliance of their original acceptance of the offer as written.

I understand there is boilerplate in the purchase and sale agreement that generally speaking the seller may call off the sale at any time until the deed is recorded. Okay, that would suck. But I would consider the accepted offer to be a contract obligating them to sell me the property for the agreed-upon price. So I could sue them to get my money back, yee haw, but I would lose the house which I do not want to do. I like the house.

So if someone could tell me if there is some precedent for compelling them to follow through with the sale under the terms of the purchase and sale agreement. I just wanna buy the house and lot for what we agreed upon in the first place.

Could you reply to me via e-mail? I have until Tuesday to think this over and I would like to have as clear a picture of my options as possible so I can make the best decision.

Thanks and have a great night
Aaron Salo
Bremerton, WA USA
[email protected]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">