• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce Lawyer Problems

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jkwade

What is the name of your state? TX

Hello. I'm currenlty in a Divorce, and it seems to keep on going and going. From my perspective, it looks like her lawyer is trying to drag the case out so she can get more money out of my soon to be ex-wife.

For example, my wife and I had a disagreement on the house settlement, my lawyer gave her lawyer and offer, after several weeks in which my lawyer tried getting in touch with her, we were bombarded with discovery paperwork requesting all our paperwork for 11 years of marriage. My wife told me she was unaware of this.
Her lawyer had made no attempt to contact my lawyer and discuss a settlement. Further, my wife did our bills and finances during our marriage, so discovery seemed like just a way of increasing the legal bill.

Finally we settled, and my lawyer modified the decree and sent it to her lawyer. We then heard nothing again for a month, only for her lawyer to call back and say her computer crashed and she needed another copy of the decree.

It's been four months since the divorce started. My question is that it seems to me at every step her lawyer is delaying things and rather than talk to my lawyer, does everything she can to prolong the situation or file paperwork needelessly.

Is this normal? I feel that her lawyer is just trying to get more money out of my wife...which also means more money from me because I have to pay my lawyer to answer everything.

Can I call and file a complaint against her lawyer?

What are my options to get the Divorce over with and not end up bankrupt?

S

seniorjudge

Four months is not a very long time for divorce proceedings.

jkwade

Still Having Problems

Howdy,

State of Texas...

Well, it's now been 9 months and I'm still not Divorced. My wife's lawyer ended up telling her that her case load was busy. We were close to agreeing to everything when her lawyer bailed. My wife had to find another divorce lawyer which delayed things.

I told my wife if the new lawyer was just starting over again, that I'd rather just go to court and let a judge decide. When the decree came back from her lawyer, their were massive changes requested, more than the state even allows for support. I told my lawyer, let's just go to court. He then talked me into submitting another round of paperwork, another modified decree, to her lawyer and if refused, then we'd go to court.

What he failed to tell me was it was going to cost me another $1000 for him to modify the decree. $1000 which I really don't have because I'm paying the temporary decree support both spousal and child support which is killing me financially.

The $1000 could have gone to court costs. Anyways, his modifications needed to be altered, and he's now not responding until I get him more money. He's done this to me before, does not respond or answer messages until I get caught up or pay additional retainer funds.

So, here's my question. Can I just dump my lawyer, use the last decree he did for me, and take my wife to court and represent myself before the judge. I don't have a lot of money, the only thing we are arguing over is equity in the house and child and supposal support. I'm just tired of this and want to get it over with before it costs me more money that I don't have.

The facts of the case are that she committed adultery and has had a drinking problem in the past. We have three kids and a house, but I have no money anywhere else, savings 401k, nothing..... I asked for 70% of the house because of the adultery and co-custody of our children. I signed a temporary decree agreeing to $500 in spousal support and $1500 in child support.

She wants the permanent decree to be $1750 for child, more than the state allows, and spousal, which my lawyer told me she won't get if we go to court because she has job skills.

So, how can I end this thing fast and cheap...... Should I represent myself, get a court date, send a summons to her and her boy friend, etc....

Thanks...James

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">