• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Summons with wrong plate #

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

smclean150

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? New York

I have received an expired inspection summons 'notice' from NY City Dept. of Finance - violation date was 5/12/2004 - plate number was indeed a plate number of mine, but from a vehicle owned 1 year prior - I sold the vehicle in July 2003 and turned in the plates to the NY State DMV - I have the original form stating they were destroyed on 7/11/2003!!! (see violation date) Yet, the City of NY Dept. of Finance persists in harrassing me even after I sent them a copy of this form from the DMV and a letter stating it was IMPOSSIBLE that I received any such summons, seeing as though the plates had for all intents and purposes been surrendered to and destroyed by the NYS DMV....any advice? Just keep sending the same letter and proof? I never received any such summons, never EVER even driven in New York City......thanks in advance.

You Are Guilty

smclean150 said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? New York

I have received an expired inspection summons 'notice' from NY City Dept. of Finance - violation date was 5/12/2004 - plate number was indeed a plate number of mine, but from a vehicle owned 1 year prior - I sold the vehicle in July 2003 and turned in the plates to the NY State DMV - I have the original form stating they were destroyed on 7/11/2003!!! (see violation date) Yet, the City of NY Dept. of Finance persists in harrassing me even after I sent them a copy of this form from the DMV and a letter stating it was IMPOSSIBLE that I received any such summons, seeing as though the plates had for all intents and purposes been surrendered to and destroyed by the NYS DMV....any advice? Just keep sending the same letter and proof? I never received any such summons, never EVER even driven in New York City......thanks in advance.
Ahh, civil service at it's finest. You may have to request a hearing or at least go down to their main office with yet another copy of the receipt for when you turned your plates in. Otherwise, you run the risk of Finance screwing with your accounts in other departments.

smclean150

Reply to 'You Are Guilty'

Unfortunately, I won't be able to go down there and clear it up in person...they are 450 miles away. I'm in Buffalo, NY. Looks like i'll have to keep sending them copies of the 'proof' until they accept it. Civil service at its best.

You Are Guilty

smclean150 said:
Unfortunately, I won't be able to go down there and clear it up in person...they are 450 miles away. I'm in Buffalo, NY. Looks like i'll have to keep sending them copies of the 'proof' until they accept it. Civil service at its best.
Buffalo? My condolences :)

How have you been sending the prior letters? Make sure it's via RRR, and maybe send it to a few different names (check their website for ideas).

The problem is getting someone to actually go to the computer and enter the correct dates, and not just toss your letter in the trash.

smclean150

Yeah, I don't admit to everyone that I live here.

Judging by the latest 'response' from the great City of NY, they never got my second set of proof; I added endorsements from my auto carrier that shows the vehicle in question had been removed from my policy and sold after I sent them the plate surrender form.

Idiots.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">