• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Items left in home after closing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

CC

Subject: Items left in home after closing.

Upon closing on our house, the previous owners had a mailbox that did not meet the home owners association guidelines. The association would not allow them to close on the home until they removed the out of code mailbox. They replaced the mailbox with a damaged inoperable one. The previous owners verbally agreed to replace the mailbox and post on two separate occasions, so we closed on the house based upon this commitment. However, they never kept the commitment.

Now the previous owners are coming to us asking for us to return several items that they left in the house. I have told them that I would gladly return the items when they satisfied their agreement to replace the damaged, inoperable mailbox by reimbursing me for my cost and time. Can they sue me for not returning the items they left in the house?

Thanks!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">