• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Twenty Years Of Unconstitutional Prosecutorial Conduct

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Undoing Twenty Years of Unconstitutional

Prosecutorial Conduct

The U.S. Supreme Court

Corrects Long-standing Problem

By Terry Brown​

The United States justice system is one of the best in the world. The checks and balances truly work to assure that wrongs are eventually made right. That fact has never been clearer than in the light of Wednesday’s opinion of the U.S. Supreme Court in two federal drug cases, U.S. v. Booker and U.S. v. Fanfan in which our nation’s highest court made several holdings that will dramatically change the way justice is meted out at the federal level and will ultimately filter down to the State levels.

In 1984, Congress overhauled the federal justice system with sweeping legislation known as the Sentencing Reform Act, which abolished parole and implemented what became known as Truth in Sentencing laws. A major piece of this legislative effort was the implementation of Mandatory Minimum sentencing for certain crimes and other pieces of legislation meant to be used in what politicos passionately termed the War on Drugs.

Particularly important to this reform was the creation of what many have viewed as a third legislative body – The United States Sentencing Commission, a body consisting largely of federal judges, prosecutors, and others involved in the Justice Department. This new body was given power to create a new mechanism known as The United States Sentencing Guidelines, U.S.S.G., which is a rule book that all parties involved in the U.S. justice system must follow. The key ingredient in this guide is the sentencing grid consisting of base offense levels and criminal history points which determine roughly a six month window within which a federal judge must sentence a defendant.

The stated goal for creating this mechanism was to reduce the disparity in imposed sentences such that criminals involved in the same levels of crime would be given relatively similar sentences – and thus meet the widely held school of thought that the punishment should fit the crime. The elimination of parole was designed to further this leveling of the playing field, because under the old system two defendants who received the same ten year sentence could end up serving dramatically different prison terms. This all made sense at the surface.

The problems began when federal prosecutors began using the new mechanisms within the Sentencing Guidelines in such a way that ultimately the U.S. Constitution’s Sixth Amendment guarantees - that a person charged with a high crime must be found guilty by a jury of his/her peers to every element of the crime and that the burden of proof must be beyond a reasonable doubt – were effectively eliminated.

In other words, if a person kills another person they may be charged with several different crimes each of which allow dramatically different sentences. The facts which differentiate those crimes are called the elements of the crime and each fact must be proven beyond a reasonable doubt in order for a jury to make a guilty finding. An example of such a fact would include whether the act was committed with premeditation – that is to say that the person planned ahead of time to commit the offense – or whether it was done in the heat of the moment. Such a fact would differentiate whether the crime was Murder in the First Degree rather than Murder in the Second Degree and may ultimately mean the difference between life and death for the defendant.

The United States Attorney’s Office began using this new rule book to shift the burden of proof away from “beyond a reasonable doubt” findings by a jury to “by a preponderance of the evidence” findings by a judge. The importance of this paradigm shift can be understood clearly only by looking at a real-life example.

Bob was a successful owner of a small trucking company in Minnesota. Bob also had a wife who was a heavy drug user. Bob, being a successful business man, had a sort of “Sam’s Club” mentality – that it was much smarter to buy his wife’s drug supply in bulk thus eliminating 1) the risk of numerous drug purchases from local street dealers, and 2) the higher cost of buying in small quantities. Bob found a supplier in another state who could provide drugs in bulk at reduced prices. Bob’s dealer was eventually busted and in order to receive a greatly reduced sentence turned over the names of the majority of those who purchased drugs from him. Bob was arrested and charged with possession with intent to distribute, a charge that – depending on the type and quantity of drug would result in a sentence of anywhere between 1 year to life in prison. Bob had been found to be in possession of a small quantity of marijuana – a crime which would have resulted more than likely with a sentence of probation. Bob went to trial in federal court and the prosecutor presented evidence of the marijuana and gave the jury instructions that they must simply make a finding that Bob was found to have “possessed a measurable quantity of a controlled substance.” The jury was specifically instructed that they need not be concerned with the type of drug or quantity involved in the case. The jury convicted Bob of Possession of a Controlled Substance with Intent to Distribute. The U.S. Probation office then submitted to the court the presentence investigation report which made various statements about shipping receipts that demonstrated the weights of packages received by Bob. The report stated that the contents of the packages was cocaine rather than marijuana and even though the weights represented on the packing slips could have represented 90% packaging and 10% drug the report gave the total weight as drug quantity. The statements in the report were routinely adopted by the court under the preponderance standard. Today Bob is in the seventh year of a 22 year sentence. The problem in Bob’s case is that the jury should have been allowed to make findings of the drug type and quantity because those are the elements of the crime which determined his appropriate sentencing range.

These two opinions eliminate the mandate that a federal judge sentence a defendant within a specific Sentencing Guideline range but rather must impose a sentence within the statutory range. These two decisions have no impact on Mandatory Minimum sentences which are statutorily derived. Most importantly, these two opinions restrict facts used to determine a sentence to those facts that were found by a jury beyond a reasonable doubt.

In the light of Booker and Fanfan Bob’s sentence is clearly unconstitutional. Unfortunately for Bob, he is no longer under his direct appeal and has exhausted all of his Habeas Corpus remedies, thus his unconstitutional sentence will be left standing. Bob will die in prison.

Last edited:

And the point is this...

I know from reading previous posts that many of you do not fully appreciate the burden of being in such a situation. You belittle the situation by saying things such as "if you can't do the time don't do the crime" and "better find yourself a bitch."

Well, I hope that one day YOUR OWN mistakes in life should lead to such a life ending scenario. Only then will you fully appreciate the meaning of justice and the widely held school of thought that punishment should fit the crime. A first time, non-violent drug defendant should NEVER be sentenced to a sentence of imprisonment for more than 20 years! That is simply absurd. Locally, there was a young man who went to a bar with his brother last year to watch the KC Chiefs and the Oakland Raiders. One brother was a fan of KC the other the Raiders. They got drunk and a fight ensued. The fight was taken all the way to their home several miles away where one brother beat the other to death with a baseball bat. That young man pled guilty and was recently sentenced to TWO YEARS in prison!

Show me the justification for such a disparity!

Anyway - my real point is that I'm hopeful that someone will know of an obscure means of getting Bob back into court since the issue was raised below on direct appeal.

BelizeBreeze

TMBrown2004 said:
And the point is this...

I know from reading previous posts that many of you do not fully appreciate the burden of being in such a situation. You belittle the situation by saying things such as "if you can't do the time don't do the crime" and "better find yourself a bitch."

Well, I hope that one day YOUR OWN mistakes in life should lead to such a life ending scenario. Only then will you fully appreciate the meaning of justice and the widely held school of thought that punishment should fit the crime. A first time, non-violent drug defendant should NEVER be sentenced to a sentence of imprisonment for more than 20 years! That is simply absurd. Locally, there was a young man who went to a bar with his brother last year to watch the KC Chiefs and the Oakland Raiders. One brother was a fan of KC the other the Raiders. They got drunk and a fight ensued. The fight was taken all the way to their home several miles away where one brother beat the other to death with a baseball bat. That young man pled guilty and was recently sentenced to TWO YEARS in prison!

Show me the justification for such a disparity!

Anyway - my real point is that I'm hopeful that someone will know of an obscure means of getting Bob back into court since the issue was raised below on direct appeal.
Well now, that depends. If the KC Chiefs fan was the won who died, the sentence should have been 20 to life. However, if it was the Raider's fan, the sentence is waaaaay to long. :eek:

CdwJava

The two years was a plea deal ... maybe Bob should have sought a plea instead of apparently taking it to trial.

And, I really gotta hear this ... how much marijuana was Bob accused of moving? And, how was it packaged to weigh so much more than the actual marijuana?

- Carl

S

seniorjudge

TMBrown2004 said:
...The problem in Bob’s case is that the jury should have been allowed to make findings of the drug type and quantity because those are the elements of the crime which determined his appropriate sentencing range....
One of the many non-sequiturs in your piece....

That is precisely the issue. Federal prosecutors began to make a habit of producing evidence of one drug TYPE and quantity (say marijuana in the quantity of one kilo) for findings beyond a reasonable doubt - those facts would only allow for a sentence of 12-18 months. Then, in the presentence report they would add things such as - "John Doe [who by the way would be testifying to save his own ass and often would receive a sentence of only a few years] would testify to the fact that he provided Defendant with an ounce of cocaine on a regular basis over the course of the past several years - we therefore conclude that Defendant is responsible for 100 kilograms of cocaine and recommend a 360 month term of imprisonment." Under the new rulings such conduct is unconstitutional. Clearly - such facts are "elements" of the crime which must be charged in the indictment and presented to the jury for findings beyond a reasonable doubt.

Oh, and I do have a sense of humor and the comment above was hysterical.
:D

Last edited:
seniorjudge said:
I'm not quite sure why you state that. This is the basis for the rulings of the Supreme Court and the basis for the piece.

What does not follow? Why must you be so vague? If you have something to say then say it.

seniorjudge said:
You read my rough draft - I have replaced it above with my final draft - if you read the ending it is much better now - but I still don't agree with what you select as "non-sequitur" as it clearly flows well to me and is very much on point...

CdwJava

So ... how much marijuana was he accused of moving? There is a big difference between personal use amounts and sales amounts.

- Carl

You Are Guilty

The courts are going to be flooded with motions to reconsider sentences under the new ruling (which, at 5-4, isn't exactly a major show of support), i.e. to see if they qualify for the "new" guidelines.

Tell Bob's lawyer to file the motion and take a number.

S

seniorjudge

Tim, long before you showed up on this site, I wrote to someone else that, as a former prosecutor, I could say that a bad prosecutor is one of the worst kinds of vermin in the legal system.

But you do not make a case for prosecutorial misconduct. They were just following the law.

Nothing has ever stopped a defendant from pleading not guilty and having a jury trial. The prosecutors cannot and did not change the standard of proof there...they couldn't!

CdwJava said:
So ... how much marijuana was he accused of moving? There is a big difference between personal use amounts and sales amounts.

- Carl
They introduced in the presentence report statements that were not presented to the jury for findings - these "facts" were merely adopted into the record with a sweep of the judge's hand saying he made a preponderance finding of guilt.

The reason his sentence was so long was because the newly introduced "evidence" was not for marijuana but rather cocaine.

You Are Guilty said:
The courts are going to be flooded with motions to reconsider sentences under the new ruling (which, at 5-4, isn't exactly a major show of support), i.e. to see if they qualify for the "new" guidelines.

Tell Bob's lawyer to file the motion and take a number.
And the overwhelming majority of these will be dismissed prima facie as they will not meet the requirements for the issues having been raised below - or not meeting the plain error four pronged test - or being time barred...

There will not be many who are in fact eligible for relief - my point is that there are four men I know of for certain who did raise the issue on direct appeal and currently have a pending 2255 petition to amend. For Bob, whose 2255 was deemed untimely because it was returned to him at the prison and he did not get it back to the court until less than a week after his AEDPA deadline. Since the original postmark was illegible they would not allow the filing - and it appears his case is dead. I'm hoping someone will know of some obscure means to get him back into court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">