• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Reckless Driving Officer not appearing in court

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bulls6896

What is the name of your state?VA

I received a reckless driving ticket for going 89 in a 65. If I request a continuance and the officer doesnt show up to the new court date, does the ticket still automatically get dismissed, or do I have to get the court date rescheduled yet again?? Also, the officer got my speed by pacing me...what kinds of defenses will help me out...i know getting my speedometer calibrated is an option...I was wondering if there was anymore advice out there to fight it, because i honestly dont think i was going that fast. Thanks

S

seniorjudge

If I request a continuance and the officer doesnt show up to the new court date, does the ticket still automatically get dismissed, or do I have to get the court date rescheduled yet again??
It will probably be rescheduled.

Also, the officer got my speed by pacing me...what kinds of defenses will help me out...
What kind of defenses do you have?

i know getting my speedometer calibrated is an option...I was wondering if there was anymore advice out there to fight it, because i honestly dont think i was going that fast.
How fast do you think you were going?
I have heard having a bad speedometer in Virginia is a defense to speeding, although this makes no sense to me: why would the commonwealth reward drivers who are driving with defective equipment?

Do a search on Virgina and reckless for dozens of threads similar to your situation.

The officer's testimony based on his professional judgment and years of experience is usually enough for the judge to find that you guilty.

You need a lawyer since you are facing significant fines, suspension and depending on your record, maybe a few weekends of jail time.

Last edited:

NWO

bulls6896 said:
What is the name of your state?VA

I received a reckless driving ticket for going 89 in a 65. If I request a continuance and the officer doesnt show up to the new court date, does the ticket still automatically get dismissed,
Don't request the continuance, then you can exersize your right to a speedy trial if the cop doesn't show.

sean13

NWO said:
Don't request the continuance, then you can exersize your right to a speedy trial if the cop doesn't show.
Can't do this in VA. The RD must have the officer present in order to be heard by the court. Continuances only work for normal speeding tickets, lawyer told me.

I did 88 in a 55 in Fairfax. Get a lawyer. You weren't "speeding" you were freaking flying.

Get your speedo calibrated. This isn't going to eliminate the guilt of the offense but lessen the blow of the punishment. Unless it is like 10mph I would get ready to eat an RD. The lawyer can also "work" the pacing by the officer.

I paid $500 fine with a perfect record and a lawyer. Lawyers cost between 750 and 1200. There is a high possibility of losing your license in this case. Be prepared to pay in total somewhere between 1200 and 2000. (lawyer's cost included)

Sean

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">