• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Are Police Officers Allowed to Let You off these days?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

charlesgage

What is the name of your state? MI

I seem to remember 5 years ago or so when i got pulled over the cop would actually ask for an explanation and talk to you a little, like they were actually trying to get you to slow down. Since a few tickets 5 years ago (when i was 16 or 17) i have slowed down.

Recently while driving my parents car to work ( a new maxima 265 HP ) i was pulled over, i had no idea the car was moving 62 in a 40 i would have guessed maybe 40 or 45, the thing is just so quiet. I told the police officer that i had a baby on the way in a couple weeks (which is true) and that an insurance hike would kill me (i make 12 dollars an hour while i study pre-law). I told him that i would donate twice the amount of the ticket to the united way if he would please forgive me this once (of course i never stated that i was speeding though). He said no, it seemed like a fair deal to me.

So to the officers on this board, are you guys instructed to be ticket machines, or can you show compassion if you want to?

BelizeBreeze

So, as a wannabe attorney you would condone a woman using her sexual orientation to circumvent the law and when it doesn't appear to work, blame the officer for your transgression?

You're a poor excuse for a woman, an attorney and a mother.

S

seniorjudge

charlesgage said:
...So to the officers on this board, are you guys instructed to be ticket machines, or can you show compassion if you want to?...
Yes, officers can show compassion and this one showed you (a pregnant lady) compassion by stopping you from engaging in a dangerous activity.

You should write him a thank you note.

CdwJava

No, we are not expected to be ticket machines. But, agency directives, goals, and traffic safety direction differ by jurisdiction. It could be that recently warnings have not cut the mustard where you live. Or, your attitude came across wrong to the officer ... or, he just doesn't cut people slack.

In this day and age of racial profiling lawsuits and data collection, I know of many officers in agencies mandating profiling data collection that are citing everyone they stop ... period. No warnings.

In my small town, we tend to let people go from time to time, because we know them ... and they KNOW I will remember them next time. When warnings don't work (like the double parking and weird stuff at the local elementary school in the morning and afternoon) we have found that a handful of citations makes for a quick change in attitudes as the word travels that we mean business.

A few citations CAN make a big difference when warnings don't work.

- Carl

cjoeb

charlesgage said:
or can you show compassion if you want to?
i guess it depends on how you interpret compassion, or any action done by the cop resulting in your favor.

several years ago, i was driving a company truck with tags expired for 2 months. i consistantly reminded my supervisor that i needed the renewal taken care of with no results. i was pulled over by a CHiPee for the expired tags and told him of my efforts to get the tags renewed. he asked for my license, registration, and the name of my supervisor. he returned my license and registration and wished me a good day.
about 3 days later, my sup came running to me yelling and screaming about a ticket he received in the mail with his name on it about the expired tags on my company truck. hahahahahaha...had no idea that the CHiPee was gonna do that!!! 2 days later, i was given a check and told to go to the dmv to get my tags....which i did.
the way i see it in this case, this guy was able to get done in 2 days what i could not get done for over 2 months....a favorable outcome for me.

Wow, some of you guys are cold.

22 over the limit would be difficult for an officer to look the other way now days, especially for someone who understood ther Maxi had 265 ponies under the hood.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">