• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

dishonest seller&agent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

demay

I had my home inspected upon acceptance of my purchase offer. The inspection revealed that the furnace needed repairs. The seller agreed to make those repairs, and I was informed that it had been done. Now, almost 3 months in the home, the furnace blew the pump and the repairman said it hadnt been touched in years. It cost me $300 to fix.

Also, while our home was under contract with mortgage approval (closing had even been set), the listing agent continued to show it to prospective buyers. Since I was living in another state at the time, I was unaware of this until closing. When we pulled up in the moving van on closing day, the "For Sale" sign was still on the back fence, and in the front yard. The front door still was secured by lockbox. As the agent never came to get the lockbox, I was forced to change the locks immediately. I still have the lockbox with the old doorhandle attached. Do I have any recourse against the agent or agency??

J

jwest

I don't think you have any recourse here. Agents typically will show homes that are under contract in case the contract should fall through. This is especially true if there are concerns about the buyer being able to secure a mortgage.

As for the lockbox, a resonable person would have requested it be removed at the walkthrough before closing. Both agents should have been there. If you didn't have a walkthrough, you could have requested it at closing or called your agent after closing. Either way, it was your decision to change the locks, and it was probably a good idea anyway, the cost of which should rightly be paid by the buyer. I don't thinks a small claims court judge would give you anything.

J

jwest

As for the furnace, call you agent. Money may have been escrowed for the furnace repair. If not, the seller should pay.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">