• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Squatters rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

Patricia

If a trailer has remained on a piece of land for 25 years, do squatter rights apply? Does the owner of the trailer now own the land on which it sits? The trailer was put there with the permission of the owner.
The state is WI

Patricia

M

Moe from MO

All depends. You usually only can acquire land by "adverse possession" if you are there in open and notorious (so anyone can see it -- and you were) possession under a claim of right (as if you had reason to believe you had the right to be there and keep the land, perhaps because you were watching the othert property for the owner, and he said I want you there and if you look out for mthe rest of the land, this land will be yours). A tenant under a lease doesn't het to keep the house after paying rent for 25 years, for example.

But ask a Wisconsin lawyer what your state's rules are and how they apply to your exact situation. It's worth a shot as you may have a claim. I don't know Wisconsin law as I'm from MO.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">