• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Deposit for Rental

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

recruiter_wa

I put a deposit on a rental and filled out an application at the same time. The landlord came back with some information from the report which has lead me to believe that I have had my identity stolen. I tried to explain that these items were not mine. They said they had to go with the report. I told them I understood and requested my deposit to be returned. It has been 6 days. I have not received the deposit and they do not respond to my e-mails or calls.

What should I do??

[This message has been edited by recruiter_wa (edited October 20, 1999).]

B

Bill Beggins

First, get a copy of your credit report and study it carefully. Get it fixed up -- whether or not your identity has been stolen -- quickly. The credit bureaus arte obligated to put your statement in the files. But people tend to believe the reports, not what the person says, because the fact is lots of people do lie.

Second, if you want another rental be prepared to put down several months rent up front. The next landlord may come up with the same report.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">