• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Random Mtr. Veh. check for no cause ??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jdcg

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

I was followed into a mobile home park by a police officer. He followed me around the park until I pulled into the driveway of a friend. He pulled in behind me and eventually gave me a citation. I was not pulled over for any moving violation. He said he performed a random Dept of motor vehicle check on my vehicle and discovered some insurance problems. My license plates were confiscated. He said when I got the issue settled with my insurance company I could get my plates back. The next day the same officer came back to get the VIN number off of my vehicle. He said that his boss wanted to make sure it was not stolen (it wasn't). Six days later I received another citation in the mail for driving an unregistered vehicle. After contacting the police dept I was told that the ticket was a continuation of the other. My question is - Can a police officer do a random check on your vehicle for no probable cause or no suspicious reason??? Why should I have to pay the citation that was given to me six days later because the police officer forgot to perform his duties at the time of the first citation?? By the way - the second citation I received in the mail was dated the same as the first one. Your help would be greatly appreciated before I have to go to court. Thanks

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

jdcg said:
What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

I was followed into a mobile home park by a police officer.

My response:

Do they really have trailer parks in Massachusetts?

The reason why I ask is because you're thinking like the typical trailer trash that lives in a trailer park in Alabama.

IAAL

racer72

Part of your privelige (yes privelige, it's not a right) to drive is that your vehicle license may be checked by police officers. Why do you think we are required to put license plates on our vehicles? Nothing else in your post suggests the officer did anything wrong or illegal. And the date on the citation is the date of the infraction, not the day it was written. I would suggest getting your vehicle properly insured and licensed. Then attend the hearing for the citations and hope the judge is in a good mood that day.

NWO

Plead not guilty, wait for the cop to show up, ask him under oath if he found the 40 pounds of cocain when he stopped you.

Tell him ohh...that's too bad.

Change your plea to no contest.

Do not follow any of my advice.

CdwJava

Yes, the police may conduct random checks of your vehicle (computer records, etc.). There is no requirement that you be stopped for a violation before they run your license and registration information. And, yes, they can conduct follow-up and amend charges as appropriate.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">