• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can stepkids get SS Death if their stepdad was only married for 3 months to their mom

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

[email protected]

Maryland...

I was engaged for over a year, and got married in June 2003. My two children called my husband Daddy Dan, and he supported them for almost two years, even though he was not their biological Dad. Dan provided over 50% of their support, even though my ex-husband, their biological father, also provided some support (just not 50%). Dan died three months after our marriage suddenly. I applied for Social Security Benefits, and they said I was not eligible, because Social Security does not consider us married until nine months. They also denied the application for my kids, even though I have signed affidavits from my husband's friends, etc., stating that he supported them and wanted to adopt them, etc. Is it worth appealing, or should I just give up? By the way, this is over $3,000.00 per month we are talking about.

Last edited:

tigger22472

I can't be certain on actual SS death benefits but I do know that in SSDI cases step-children can not draw until the biological parent and the step-parent have been married for one year.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">