• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

National Park Police Speeding Ticket in VA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jeremy12

What is the name of your state? VA

I was recently charged w/ speeding (64 in a 40) by a National Park Police officer on the GW Parkway in Alexandria, VA. I know that in VA 20 over the speed limit is normally reckless driving but it does not appear I am being charged with that. The charged offense is 36 cfr 4.21 not the code from VA law. Because this was a Park Police officer my options include paying the $130 fine or appearing in US District Court (not VA District Court). After checking the VA DMV website it appears I will still get 6 demerits on my record just as I would w/ RD when they find out about this violation but they do make a distinction between reckless driving of 20 over and 20 over w/o RD.

Does anyone have any experience with how this will all play out?

joiemf

this might work

the first thing you should do is have your speedometer calibrated! if you can prove it is off by any they may reduce your charge to improper driving which will lower your points with DMV. good luck!

sean13

This isn't a lot of help but... You might want to talk to a lawyer. I have heard of this problem, you are breaking "federal" rules, US Park, but they follow VA laws. i hate to be so vague but you are in a very odd situation.

Sean

dcgirl246

Speeding on GW Parkway

jeremy12 or anyone else:

My situation is almost identical to Jeremy's. The park policeman (GW pkwy) who gave me the ticket said that it wasn't reckless driving since I was not over 25 over the speed limit. However, everything I am now seeing online says that anything over 20 over the limit is reckless driving. I was just planning on paying the ticket since it gives me the option, but if there is anything that can be done to avoid additional insurance charges, etc. I am willing to do it!

Please let me know if you have any suggestions. Thanks so much!

--------

jeremy12: [I was recently charged w/ speeding (64 in a 40) by a National Park Police officer on the GW Parkway in Alexandria, VA. I know that in VA 20 over the speed limit is normally reckless driving but it does not appear I am being charged with that. The charged offense is 36 cfr 4.21 not the code from VA law. Because this was a Park Police officer my options include paying the $130 fine or appearing in US District Court (not VA District Court). After checking the VA DMV website it appears I will still get 6 demerits on my record just as I would w/ RD when they find out about this violation but they do make a distinction between reckless driving of 20 over and 20 over w/o RD.

Does anyone have any experience with how this will all play out?]

Proserpina

I have the very same situation as the other 2 people above, cited for 60/40 in GW parkway, searched many forum and found out that typically the prosecutor would reduce your charge to 19mph over, which is 4 points in your driving record, as suppose to 6 points for 20mph over. This is pretty much the default of what they do if you show up instead of paying your ticket.

However, I spent many night reading many of these forum, and decided to use the collective knowledge to defend my ticket. The prosecutor was actually worried that I couldn't handle it myself, keep pushing me to take the pled (which is what they do everyday to everybody so they collect more guilty pleds in their docket), but I wanted to try my luck to get it reduce more, or have the case dismissed.

So I went on trial, and in the process of getting this case dismissed.... (pm me for details if you want to know what I did ;)..

Did you read where it's considered bad netiquette to necropost? ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">