• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can they actually get away with this??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Livd2Nod

What is the name of your state?undefinedWhat is the name of your state?California

My children were removed from my custody three years ago, and placed in the care of paternal grandparents. One was in foster care, the other was not. My son's paternal grandparents were eventually granted legal guardianship. He was never in the foster care program. Now, after 2 years of this, CPS is petitioning to have these people, who have followed none of the court orders in regards to contact between my son and I, legally adopt him, and terminate my parental rights. There are absolutely no grounds for this request, as a matter of fact, I have documents proving that I have followed all court orders, tested clean for drug use since paroling from prison(july 2003), and have been in compliance of the conditions of my parole to the letter. Is this even legal? PLEASE respond asap, as I am really stressing over this.

brisgirl825

Have you been seeing them and/or paying support for your children? You say that the grandparents didn't follow court orders, I assume in reguards to your visitation. Did you call the police or take them to court over that? You'll probably have to show that you exhausted all known methods of getting your visitation.
Just my opinion, but the courts might show some lienency towards you since you are in recovery and esp since you're a mother. Best thing to do is get an attorney. Try to show that you have changed and that you can be the mother that your kids need.

Good luck and I hope that you can begin to rebuild a relationship with your kids.

Sarah

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">