• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

English son wants American Bio dad to adopt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

oxfordpond

What is the name of your state? Oxford England

After 35years my husband (born in England) met his bio dad for the first time (he lives in Pennsylvania).My mother in law never put his bio dad on his birth certificate and they did not marry, he returned to America .when my husband was 3 he was adopted by her new husband and later they divorced by the time he was 10 and never saw him again.

My husband has a great relationship with his real dad and would like it to be legal. What do they have to do? Do they have to get a DNA test seeing that his dad is not on the birth certificate (although there is no doubt he is) ?
How does the American legal system work with the English legal system?
Your help will be greatly appreciated.

LdiJ

oxfordpond said:
What is the name of your state? Oxford England

After 35years my husband (born in England) met his bio dad for the first time (he lives in Pennsylvania).My mother in law never put his bio dad on his birth certificate and they did not marry, he returned to America .when my husband was 3 he was adopted by her new husband and later they divorced by the time he was 10 and never saw him again.

My husband has a great relationship with his real dad and would like it to be legal. What do they have to do? Do they have to get a DNA test seeing that his dad is not on the birth certificate (although there is no doubt he is) ?
How does the American legal system work with the English legal system?
Your help will be greatly appreciated.
The simplest way to make it legal is via an adult adoption. Its actually a very simple process...much simpler than a regular adoption. It does not require the permission of anyone....nor would it require a DNA test.

oxfordpond

Can this be done in England or does it have to be done in the USA?
What do we do to start the process?
Does my husband have to become an American citizen or have a dual passport?
Thanks

LdiJ

oxfordpond said:
Can this be done in England or does it have to be done in the USA?
What do we do to start the process?
Does my husband have to become an American citizen or have a dual passport?
Thanks
It would probably have to be done in the US. No, he would not have to become an American citizen or hold a dual passport. However his father could probably sponsor him for citizenship.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">