• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

motorcycle parking

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

ray_calif

Hi everyone! I need advice on handling a particularly sticky situation. I belong to a Home Owner's Assocation in California and I want to park my motorcycle in front of my compact car in my parking space. However, the Board of Directors (a total of 2 people) has told me that I'm not allowed to park a motorcycle in my garage space.

First they cited that it was a fire hazard. So I checked with the local Fire department and found out that it was not. Then when I told them that, they said "well...it's an eyesore." And that's the only reason that they have. By the way, they've never even seen the motorcycle.

I have sent them letters asking to meet with them; but I have had no responses. And I am afraid that they will do damage to my motorcycle if I were to attempt to go ahead without their permission.

I don't want to be labeled a trouble maker;but I also don't have much time because I need a parking space for my motorcycle.

What should I do and do I have any legal recourse?

I've provided the parking rules and regulation of the HOA below.

Thank you,
Ray

The Home Owner's Parking Rules and Regulations says the following about motorcycles:

"MOTORCYCLES, ATV's: Motorcycles may be allowed to park in designated spaces, as long as they comply with all the rules and regulations set forth in this document, and as long as they don't pose a hazard or restrict the ingress or egress of pedestrians;"

Also there's a section on vehicles not allowed:

"VEHICLES NOT ALLOWED: The following vehicles are not permitted to be parked on HOA property at any time:
a) trucks, other than a standard pick-up or van;
b) trailers, boats, recreational vehicles, vehicles with more than 2 axles;
c) non-operational vehicles, vehicles with flat tires, and/or other vehicles deemed by the Board to be eyesores or safety hazards (i.e., broken windows, missing hoods, fenders, etc.);
d) vehicles not displaying current registration;
e) vehicles leaking oil or other fluids;
f) vehicles too large to fit in designated parking spaces;

M

MDT

Two suggestions. First the rules say you can park a motorcycle in the spot. They do not say you can park BOTH a car and a motorcycle. So you are not on the strogest of grounds if you want to park BOTH.

You may want to get them used to your bike first by parking it by itself for a while. Then put the bike in first and the car behind it.

And why did you ask the biddies on the Board?You don't ask Mom for permission if Dad said yes, and here the rules say a bike is okay

A

Ariel

hey so what happened here? Sounds like they are being predgidous and lousy !!!

G

gosh01

For those who are curious. My motorcycle and my car are both in the parking space now. They did not contest it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">