• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Reinstatement of Homeowner's Assocation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

Ladywolfe

When I bought my townhouse 2 years ago, I was told the homeowner's association had been defunct for quite some time. That was one of the reasons I bought my place, otherwise I would not have. I did not want a homeowner's association. Now, some of the owners want to reinstate the homeowner's association because they are having trouble selling their homes. What they want to reinstate in the association is insurance for the common areas and maybe upkeep up the common areas. In buying my place, I had no idea there was common areas and that I was going to be partly responsible for it at some time. My question is this - is there any recourse now since I wasn't told anything about the common areas/homeowner's association? I'm most upset about the fact that I wasn't informed of any of this at the time I bought my place. In looking at all my transaction papers there is nothing mentioned about common areas and my responsibility. I am not the only owner upset at being told now that we have to have a homeowner's association. My Residential Real Property Transfer Disclosure Addendum completed by the previous owners states: Homeowner's Association that has authority over the property? NO. Under Legal Factors it has: Homeowner's Association Dues - amount $ defunct - 0. As I stated before, I would never had bought my place had there been a homeowner's association or even knowledge that I was partly responsible for common areas. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I live in Anchorage, Alaska if that helps. Thank you very much.

W

Wlson

A lawyer in Alaska can give you a real answer. I'm not that. But there must be something in the papers that refers to a Homeowners Association. After 2 years I bet you're stuck. Also, do you want out regardless? Most homeowners associations help the values, even though they are pains in the neck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">