• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Relased to My Father

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DP2506

What is the name of your state? Virginia
My sister and her boyfriend were driving home to New York from Florida when they stopped at a rest stop to eat... They then had the bright idea to buy coocaine. They approached an unmarked car and the officers sold then a bag of crushed up tylenol. They were charged with conpiracy to commit... (class 5/6 felony) After spending 4 nights in jail my sister was released ($10,000 cash assurance) to my father. My questions are
1. The judge made sure to say that my sister should was released to my father and she should be staying there and NOT with her boyfriend.... Being that she is 24, if she decides to sleep out at her boyfriends house is there anything my father can do? Is he fully responsible for her until her court date or just responsible for her appearance to the court? Can anything happen to him if she decides to screw up?
2. If my sister's boyfriend has a past record can that hurt her if they are codefendants? (This is her first offense)
Thank you in advance

BelizeBreeze

DP2506 said:
1. The judge made sure to say that my sister should was released to my father and she should be staying there and NOT with her boyfriend.... Being that she is 24, if she decides to sleep out at her boyfriends house is there anything my father can do? Is he fully responsible for her until her court date or just responsible for her appearance to the court? Can anything happen to him if she decides to screw up?
Yes, he can have her sent back to jail for violation of the court's order.

Is he fully responsible for her until her court date or just responsible for her appearance to the court? Can anything happen to him if she decides to screw up?
Yep, he can lose the $10,000 he 'assured' the court to secure her release. And yes, he's responsible for her in total.

DP2506 said:
2. If my sister's boyfriend has a past record can that hurt her if they are codefendants? (This is her first offense)
Thank you in advance
One has nothing to do with the other.

Note of interest.

It is unclear in your post whether the arrest was made in Florida, Virginia, somewhere in between, or in Virginia because your home is yet further away.

I see New York in there now. :eek:

There is one thing I should mention.

If the b/f was to be tried to a jury seperately, his criminal past may be admissable as to his credibility, were he to appear as a witness in the trial of your sister.

Just thought that you would like to know.

Last edited:

DP2506

Thank you so much
She was arrested in Virginia...
If she gets in trouble here in New York can anything happen to my father?
Can $10,000 be forfeited because of getting in trouble in New York?
And are you saying that if my father wanted to he send her back to jail because she chooses to stay at her boyfriends house?

BelizeBreeze

DP2506 said:
Thank you so much
She was arrested in Virginia...
If she gets in trouble here in New York can anything happen to my father?
Can $10,000 be forfeited because of getting in trouble in New York?
And are you saying that if my father wanted to he send her back to jail because she chooses to stay at her boyfriends house?
already asked and answered.
Yes, your father could revoke her bail.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">