• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

More than one Ticket for same violation?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

frustrated-mom

What is the name of your state? Michigan

Hi, The town my son live's in passed a new parking ordinance no longer allowing him to park his car where he had been parking everyday which by the way was at the end of a dead end street... Anyway the day this ordinance went into effect he was not aware of it no sign's were posted nothing what is upsetting is they issued him a parking ticket for it and then within less than 24 hour's issued him a second ticket placing it ontop of the first ticket he had not even seen yet... My question is... Is there a law limiting how many ticket's he can be issued for the same violation within 24 hour's?
I always understood that if you had received a ticket they could not issue you another one unless of course the violation had been ignored and he continued to violate this law... hope I made sense to you.
frustrated-mom

BelizeBreeze

Is there a law limiting how many ticket's he can be issued for the same violation within 24 hour's?
You understood wrong. every minute the car is illegally parked is a separate and distinct violation. However, most jurisdictions allow for time to 'discover' the violation and correct it. That was done here and since the car was not moved, another violation was attached.

frustrated-mom

Thank you... considering it was a new ordinance (1st day) and was given in less than 24 hour's of the first it appear's the city is looking for some quick cash if you ask me as it should have been clear to the officer that the first ticket had not been discovered yet still being on the windshield Grrrrr... Thank you I will bring that up when going to pay for them

mira28

great signature - offtopic

This is completely off-topic but I couldn't resist pointing out BelizeBreeze's signature quote "Your food stamps will be stopped effective March 1992 because we received notice that you passed away. May God bless you. You may reapply if there is a change in your circumstances."
- Department of Social Services, Greenville, South Carolina

If true, this quote is very telling of our laborious civil service machine (smile).

Mira

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">