• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Security deposit stop payment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

crabtreeauten

In Ohio, the tenants move out, leave the place a mess. I deduct from deposit for cleaning their mess, replacing light bulbs, etc... The day after I send the remainder of the security deposit out (cert.mail) I get a bill from the water co. stating that the tenants owed almost $100.00 and that I was responsible. I put a stop payment on the check and send notice to them (cert.mail which they did not claim), that as soon as they pay I will reimburse their money. Finally, they pay the bill (due Oct 10-payment posted Oct 20). As a result the tenants incurred insuffient funds on their account and want me to pay the debt. I want to send the original reimbursment but, need to know if I am legally responsible to pay their NSF that they incurred as a result of the stop payment?

------------------

[This message has been edited by crabtreeauten (edited November 11, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by crabtreeauten (edited November 11, 1999).]

L

LorettaL

I don't know what Ohio law would tell you to do. You might want to see if there's a local agency that offers mediation and advice to landlord/tenant disputes. Here in Calif. their services are cheap and or free. What I would do also depends on how much money the NSF is -- is it worth a huge headache for a few bucks?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">