• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Apartment Phone Wiring

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Y

yezamir

When I was first shown my apartment, I saw phone jacks throughout. When I moved in, I found that NONE of the jacks worked; indeed none of them even had phone wires conncected to them. Does the presence of phone jacks at showing legally imply phone wiring in the apartment? I have tried formal letters, but how can I get landlord to pay for phone jack wiring? Thanks very much... Elie

L

LorettaL

That's pretty odd -- having phone jacks on walls with no wires there. How much will it cost to have wiring installed? I'm not sure you even have the right to put wiring in at your own expense without the landlord's permission but you might consider writing a letter stating that you are going to do so and it will cost $X and you are going to deduct the cost from next month's rent unless the landlord explicitly denies you permission within 5 business days of receipt of your letter. Send the letter certified mail so you have proof when it's delivered.

If the cost of installation is more than your monthly rent or he does deny you permission I would consider finding another place to live.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">