• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

87 in a 65

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Spyder1

What is the name of your state? Ohio

Recently i have been pulled over by a cop for doing 87 in a 65. I realize now more than ever how speeding is a real big deal. I'm 17 years old and I just want to know how this all should play out. I know that I'm royally screwed over. Is there anything I could do to lessen my costs of everything?

Thanks

JETX

Spyder1 said:
Is there anything I could do to lessen my costs of everything?
Yep. Walk into court with your parents and plead guilty to the violation. That in itself will save you several $100 in lawyer fees.

Just curious though.... why is it that people do stupid things (like 87 in a 65), then when they are caught (and we all know that this wasn't the first time you were speeding!!), they come on this forum and whine/cry about having to be held accountable for their conduct??

Why should he pay more than someone else with proper legal representation?

The objective is to minimize the damages, especially long term increases in insurance. In many cases, and attorney has the highest probability of making this possible and more than worth the investment.

The probability for making this possible is inversely proportional to the number of tickets received in a period of time and is how the system was designed to work. So you really need to learn your lesson with the first ticket.

(I am not a lawyer and have never played one on TV :p )

Lost in Alabama

I highly suggest getting an attorney. I got ticketed for 85 in a 65, and attorney got it reduced to 74 in a 65. HUGE difference in consequences. I do not get my license suspended and insurance will not go up. It was my first ticket in 10 years. In other words...I had a clean record. The attorney cost, plus fine and court costs are much less than the insurance increases etc that I would get if I just said, "I'm guilty."
I'm not saying you're not a dummy (like I was), but LEARN from this and SLOW DOWN (like I have).

SPORTcoupe

JETX said:
why is it that people do stupid things (like 87 in a 65), then when they are caught (and we all know that this wasn't the first time you were speeding!!), they come on this forum and whine/cry about having to be held accountable for their conduct??
This is the first instance of whining and crying I have seen on this thread.
The kid came to ask a question: "How can I reduce my costs?"
You answered the question.
WTF is that part after the answer?
If he had asked you to rub in in a bit for him, I'd understand and have something of my own to add (even though I know he'll get enough from just the parents)
He didn't, so end it at the answer.

I assume this is your first ticket. Do what JETX said before he went off on a tangent and make sure to go to traffic school.

Good luck.

~Alan

JETX

SPORTcoupe said:
I assume this is your first ticket. Do what JETX said before he went off on a tangent and make sure to go to traffic school.
The court won't dismiss this ticket, with or without 'traffic school', idiot!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">