• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can Landlord evict me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

Alade

I live in NY city(Queens) in a rent stabilized apartment. My lease expired in September and has not been renewed. I have been paying rent as normal. I really do not want a new lease as I am trying to find another apartment. Can the landlord evict me because I no longer have a lease ?

Do I have right to a lease under rent stabilization laws ?

Can I refuse to sign the lease if offered one ?

Am I still protected after the lease expiration.

L

LorettaL

I'm not familiar with NY law but as a general rule when a lease expires and a new one is not signed it is typically converted into a month-to-month tenancy. Sometimes the rule is that the lease itself is automatically renewed for the same period of time; that is, if it was year-long lease before a new year-long lease is automatically in effect.

To ease your mind, failure to have a lease does not automatically result in eviction provided you haven't broken any of the material terms of the lease (the main one being that you are current with your rent payments).

I don't know anything about rent control laws in NY so if you want to find out your rights under them I would call or visit the responsible agency to find out more.

Good luck finding a new apartment.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">