• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

does traffic school really mean no points in GA?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fattysnax

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? GA

Cited for 74 in 55 mph zone on GA-400 in Atlanta while driving to a Dr's appt I had made 30 min prior (nurse said on the phone, "Can you come in now?" despite being backed up w/ appts on a Saturday morning).

In hindsight, I need to watch my speed when under stress. However, are my (at the time undiagnosed) coughing spasms a reasonable defense? (I was actually worried I had whooping cough.)

If not, is it true I can attend traffic school before my court date, and the fine will be reduced & no points will go on my record? Is traffic school aka "defensive driving school"? Can I still exercise this option if I pleaded Nolo to a speeding ticket 1.5 years ago?

Thank you for your help!

S

seniorjudge

"However, are my (at the time undiagnosed) coughing spasms a reasonable defense? (I was actually worried I had whooping cough.)"

This is saying that you want to tell the judge that you were not in control of yourself or the car, so, therefore, you should not be held responsible for your own actions.

Probably a bad idea.

The only defense to speeding is to show that you were not speeding.

"If not, is it true I can attend traffic school before my court date, and the fine will be reduced & no points will go on my record? Is traffic school aka "defensive driving school"? Can I still exercise this option if I pleaded Nolo to a speeding ticket 1.5 years ago?"

These are all good questions. Ask them when you go to court. The answers to those questions will help you decide whether you should plead guilty or not guilty.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">