• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

mortgage responsibility

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

V

vron

mortgage states"this mortgage is binding on me, my heirs and personal representatives". Does this mean that if my parents die owing money and the sale of the house does not cover the prinicpal balance, am I liable for the difference?

L

LorettaL

I think that title could not transfer to you (or whoever are the beneficiaries in your parents' will) until the mortgage was paid off. If the property was mortgaged for more than what it was worth they would probably foreclose on the property; so you wouldnt' be able to inherit it without paying off the debt. It is poosible that the mortgage company would go after the remaining assets that the deceased left behind before going after you (and any other heirs) personally. You should hire a real estate lawyer or talk to a probate lawyer before you do anything to this property once you've inherited it. Check on-line for some names of attorneys.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">