• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Don't I have rights too if I pay rent?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

KB

This is ridiculous and I don't what to do or what I can do about this situation. I just moved into my new apartment 3 weeks ago and already the landlord is giving me bull about why some things aren't getting fixed when they say they are going to be. The things that I asked to be fixed are the wall and the bathroom sink,because the wall is torn and there's mold on it and the sink is leaking all over. Both my rent and security are paid in full so I don't see what the problem is. So far 2 weeks have gone by without anything being done,and i'm getting mad about this so what can I do about this if anything?

L

LorettaL

A landlord does have a duty to make sure that a rental property is "habitable." What this means is governed by state law. There is a good overview of tenant's rights on this website. Look at the sections on "maintaining the rental property", "habitatbility" and "repair and deduct" for some ideas.disputes that you might want to look into or you might consider breaking your lease.

[This message has been edited by LorettaL (edited November 19, 1999).]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">