• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord selling leased property BEFORE the lease expired!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

Precila

All and any help/advice/assistance is greately appreciated.

I live in California, I have signed a lease on a property for a one year period. But after only 5 months of living in this property the owner decided to SELL the property and I am forced to move.

Here are my concern:
First of all no where in the lease contract that I signed says anything about the landlord being able to terminate the lease BEFORE its expiration date due to selling of the property. It ONLY states that landlord can terminate if tenants causes it for any misconduct or not paying rent ect....

Secondly,I now have realtors showing the property (which I still live in)at all times of the day without my knowledge! All the realtors do is call me at home which I'm not at because I work all day, and leave a msg on my machine stating that they will be stoping by within minutes from now to show the property, and they never give me time to call them back to give my o.k on it because by the time I get home is already too late and they have already been there.

I DON'T like for them to do this to me.

My questions are.....

What are my rights as a tenant to avoid some or all of these abuse? Can the landlord get away with what he's doing legally? What can I do? Are there any links with legal forms stating my rights in this particular situation?
Please advice,

Thank You

Precila

L

LorettaL

There's really two parts to your question:

1) If the landlord sells the house while you are covered by the lease, the new buyer will step into his place as your landlord. You are not going to be kicked out unless you break one of the conditions in the lease or unless you agree to leave.

2) As for his ability to let other people into your rental property when you are not home: your lease may specify the conditions about when, how, if the landlord can enter the property (or let someone else in). Hold him to these terms. You might want to contact the listing agent about WHEN you are willing to have potential buyers look at the property. Then the broker can make a note on the MLS listing so that other brokers will know when it's ok to show the house. You do need to be accomodating to some extent because the onere does have the right to sell the property.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">