• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

52 in 35 zone in New Jersey

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

twentyone

What is the name of your state? NJ

This past Sunday night, I was driving down a local road and was ticketed for speeding. In a span of about a mile, the speed limit goes from 35 to 40, back down to 35, then to 50 just past a state park entrance (I just checked the signage yesterday to be certain exactly what it was). The officer was parked in the state park entrance. I had just turned onto the road less than a mile before and was accelerating (I mistakenly thought the speed limit went up to 45 shortly after I turned onto the road). At no time did I exceed 45 mph, but the officer ticketed me for going 52 in a 35 mph zone, which he clocked using radar.

It was about 10 p.m. on Sunday night and traffic was relatively light. This ticket will cost me 4 points, not to mention the fines. What are my options here? I've heard about calibration of radar, or lack thereof, and other causes for faulty readings. How difficult is this to prove? Would I be best off trying to negotiate with the prosecutor for a lesser penalty?

Edited to add: I am 21 years old with a clean driving record.

Last edited:

S

seniorjudge

When you go to court, ask the folks there if there is a diversion program.

Run a search in the term diversion and also on radar in this forum. Your question has been asked and answered about 100 times in the last month.

Good luck.

And keep that record clean!

Happy Trails

twentyone said:
What is the name of your state? NJ

This past Sunday night, I was driving down a local road and was ticketed for speeding. In a span of about a mile, the speed limit goes from 35 to 40, back down to 35, then to 50 just past a state park entrance (I just checked the signage yesterday to be certain exactly what it was). The officer was parked in the state park entrance. I had just turned onto the road less than a mile before and was accelerating (I mistakenly thought the speed limit went up to 45 shortly after I turned onto the road). At no time did I exceed 45 mph, but the officer ticketed me for going 52 in a 35 mph zone, which he clocked using radar.

It was about 10 p.m. on Sunday night and traffic was relatively light. This ticket will cost me 4 points, not to mention the fines. What are my options here? I've heard about calibration of radar, or lack thereof, and other causes for faulty readings. How difficult is this to prove? Would I be best off trying to negotiate with the prosecutor for a lesser penalty?

Edited to add: I am 21 years old with a clean driving record.
**Try to negotiate with the prosecutor to lowering the speed from 52 to 49 mph this would reduce your points to only 2.

39:4-98 Exceeding maximum speed 1-14 mph over limit 2 pts
39:4-99 Exceeding maximum speed 15-29 mph over limit 4 pts

**Then if you get that you can look into Point Reductions.

Up to two points may be subtracted from your point total after successful completion of a MVC approved Defensive Driving Program. Note: Credit is given for one program every five years.

This site may give you more information:

http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/cit_violations/d_vp_pnf.html#PnF

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">