• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Local Automotive shop broke my hand on purpose

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

b18onboost

What is the name of your state? California

I am writting for a friend regarding an incident that happened a little over a year ago. My friend went to a local automotive shop to pick up some parts for his car. Upon arriving at the shop he found out that the price they quoted him on the phone was different than at the shop. He asked if they would honor the price and the shop owner gladly replied "sure if you let me drop this front shock suspension on your hand". Well my friend thought that since he was wearing a glove a drop wouldnt hurt so bad. The shock broke a few bones in his hand and he had to go to the hospital. He had witness with him during the time of injury. My question is can my friend sue the shop for breaking his hand. He is a college student and doesnt have money to pay lawyer fee but he can have the lawyer take money out of the settlement. Thank you for reading this post.

Last edited:

Happy Trails

b18onboost said:
What is the name of your state? California

I am writting for a friend regarding an incident that happened a little over a year ago. My friend went to a local automotive shop to pick up some parts for his car. Upoin arriving at the shop he found out that the price they quoted him on the phone is different than at the shop. He asked if they would honor the price and the shop owner gladly replied "sure if you let me drop this front shock suspension on your hand". Well my friend thought that since he was wearing a glove a drop wouldnt hurt so bad. The shock broke a few bones in his hand and he had to go to the hospital. He had witness with him during the time of injury. My question is can my friend sue the shop for breaking his hand. He is a college student and doesnt have money to pay lawyer fee but he can have the lawyer take money out of the settlement. Thank you for reading this post.
Curious, did he get the lower price that was quoted to him then?

b18onboost

Happy Trails said:
Curious, did he get the lower price that was quoted to him then?
Yes he did and i got a good laugh at him for letting someone break his hand. Although on serious note, i think it's wrong for a business to cause personal injury to their customers.

racer72

The title of your post is somebody broke my hand then you state that are writing (it only has one t, not two) for a friend. Suddenly realize you would look like an idiot if you admitted that is was you, not some so called friend?

You Are Guilty

How weird. I tell my clients that my rate is 50% of what it really is, then when they complain, I tell them I'll honor the 50% price if I can kick them in the nads (or in a male relative's nads, should it be a female client). It's a cheap way for me to work out any excess aggression (my weekly road rage incidents were getting expensive).

Problem is you(r buddy) consented. If the mechanic tied "him" up with duct tape and then dropped a shock on him, I can see a claim. "His" volunteering to do something stupid for a discount sort of ruins the basis for a lawsuit.

Lynx 36

Quote: "He asked if they would honor the price and the shop owner gladly replied "sure if you let me drop this front shock suspension on your hand". Well my friend thought that since he was wearing a glove a drop wouldnt hurt so bad"

HERE'S YOUR SIGN NUMNUTZ!!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">