• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord's Right of Entry

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

twomicks

Virginia's handbook for Tenants and Landlords states "if a tenant decides to add additional locks, landlords must receive copies of all additional or changed keys." Our tenant has changed the locks and we are unable to notify her(phone disconnected, returned certified letter) of need for entry. Can we get a locksmith without previously notifying tenant?

L

LorettaL

I'd be very careful if I were you. In California if the landlord were to take the action you are contemplating he could be open to suit by the tenant. I would consult a real estate lawyer or property management company in your area and ask for their advice. Oftentimes, lawyers and other service providers will charge a flat, minimal fee for a consultation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">