• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Codicil to will involving real estate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

My question/problem involves real estate complicated by a will. Facts: I inherited a home in 1992 by will from my grandfather. The property is located in the state of Virginia. Prior to my grandfather's death, he had a codicil to his will drawn up giving his live-in housekeeper a life estate as long as she was living on the premises. however, this person vacated the premises several months before my grandfather passed away in 1992 without notice and leaving no forwarding address. I have had no contact with this individual since 1992. I have no social security number or date of birth or even a possible address in order to help me find her. I have a applied for a home equity loan and the lending institiuation is requiring her signure releasing her life estate claim. The language of the codicil reads:
"I give and devise a life estate in my house and lot located -----, to my old and dear friend ---- upon the condition that she reside in teh house and pay the taxes, insurance, maintenance and mortgage, if any. In the event ----shall vacate the house and leave the property in order to live elsewhere or in the event she shall fail to pay taxes, insurance, maninenance charges or mortgage for a period of three consecutive months, then the life estate shall terminate and the right of ---- to occupy the said property shall cease as well as her obligation to pay taxes,etc. and possession and ownership shall revert to -----(myself)".
Question: What steps do I need to take in order to obtain a deed of ownership to this property in my name and allow the lending instituition to issue a deed of trust without this individual's signature?
Your assistance in this matter is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

L

LorettaL

This sounds like a good question for an attorney in Virginia experienced with wills to answer. Perhaps the clerk of the local court that handles probate matters could also be of help to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">