• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

2 moving violation: Running red & illegal left turn advice =(

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sham3n

What is the name of your state? NY

Yesterday I received 2 moving violations.
1. for supposedly running a red light
-I'm almost positive it was a green. Of course yesterday was freezing cold temperatures and the top of my windshield was a little foggy so it could have changed to yellow and maybe red by the time I crossed it. But I'm almost positive it didn't have time to turn red if it was green when I saw it last.

and

2. For an illegal left turn (after supposedly running a red) at the same time.
Basically on my side there are 2 lanes: a turning lane and a 2nd lane that goes straight.
-I was in the 2nd lane, under the traffic light, at an intersection because traffic was stopped in front of my car. I didn't want to cause gridlock because the light had just changed and cars were coming my way. So I made the next safest move and turned left from my lane.

The cop didn't pull me over until about a block and a half later.

I've never had any tickets for any type of moving violations in the 9 years I have been driving. Anybody have suggestions on how I can fight this or what I can do to help my cause? Thanks for any advice!

-Sham3n

Last edited:

racer72

Nothing in your post suggests the citation was not valid nor warranted. I would suggest just paying the ticket and get on with your life.

sham3n

For the left hand turn one I admit I made an illegal turn, even if it was for a good reason, but for running a red light I don't believe I ran it and I don't want to admit guilty and get 3 points for something I don't believe I did.
These tickets combined adds up to 5 points and $300 in fines in NY.
I rather fight it and hopefully get a point reduction or something.
I just wanted any advice from anyone that might have any situation similiar to this that might help my case.

-Sham3n

HomeGuru

sham3n said:
What is the name of your state? NY

Yesterday I received 2 moving violations.
1. for supposedly running a red light
-I'm almost positive it was a green. Of course yesterday was freezing cold temperatures and the top of my windshield was a little foggy so it could have changed to yellow and maybe red by the time I crossed it. But I'm almost positive it didn't have time to turn red if it was green when I saw it last.

and

2. For an illegal left turn (after supposedly running a red) at the same time.
Basically on my side there are 2 lanes: a turning lane and a 2nd lane that goes straight.
-I was in the 2nd lane, under the traffic light, at an intersection because traffic was stopped in front of my car. I didn't want to cause gridlock because the light had just changed and cars were coming my way. So I made the next safest move and turned left from my lane.

The cop didn't pull me over until about a block and a half later.

I've never had any tickets for any type of moving violations in the 9 years I have been driving. Anybody have suggestions on how I can fight this or what I can do to help my cause? Thanks for any advice!

-Sham3n
**A: after reading your post, we have determined that you are guilty of the violations.

racer72

You admit to not being able to clear an intersection and that you were blocking cross traffic from proceding. This means you were in the intersection while the light was red for the direction you were intending to travel. This my friend, is all part of what is considered running a red light. You should check to see if you may be eligible for traffic school or deferred prosecution. Contact the court handling your case and see what types of penalty diversions may be available to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">