• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord' Right of Entry / Privacy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

trvlr911

I am renting a house in which the lease gives the landlord the right to sell the house and upon sale of the house the lease is terminated and I have 30days to move out. The landlord is in the process of trying to sell the house. He has come in and moved my stuff when he showed the house, complained about the condition of the house (cleanliness) when there was nothing to complain about, and tried to obtain information about my habits from my pest control co, and is harrassing me constantly about getting the house pretty for him to show. I want to know what rights I have regarding him entering to show the property to buyers and if he tried to say I'm not keeping the house clean, what is the basis of proof he has to go by. I don't like him moving my things and even though he has right of entrty to inspect, I don't think he can just move my stuff. Also, I can't leave without breaking the lease unless he sells. Advice?

I

Internet Guru

Tough issue. He probably vcan terminate your lease on 30 days notice.

Put yourself in his shoes for a minute. If you're a slob, that hurts resale.

T

trvlr911

I understand what you're saying but I've rented two other apartments before and never had to give up a security deposit before. What actually determines "being a slob" legally as you put it. He can't expect a house that people have to live in to be as neat as an empty house.

L

LorettaL

Look at your lease to see what it says about the landlord's right to enter your house. Typically, it will say something about how much advance notice he has to give you before entering. It sounds like both of you would like to be rid of the other; a lease can be broken if both parties consent to it. If you are interested in breaking the lease, approach him; what have you got to lose?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">