• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dissolving Joint Property Ownership

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

MyWorstNightmare

My girlfriend nad I jointly own our house but I put 6x what she did into it. Our relationship is ending (for reasons which include my infidelity). We had a verbal agreement that I'd pay her a $150,000 so that she could find a new home without a mortgage. I agreed to refinance this property to get her name off of the deed so she could get a subsequent loan, and I'd keep this house.

Now she says that she's not moving out even after I'm ready to refinance and won't sign until she's found a house and a job that she likes and she won't pay anything in rent.

Besides the obvious "I'm stupid" are there any comments or ideas of how to approach getting her to complete the refinance and move out in a reasonable time?

W

Wilson W

Stupid or not, you have a situation like those undergoing divorce encounter. Unfortunately those undergoing divorce need a lawyer to help settle things when informal agreements and negotiations break down. I'd suggest going to a divorce lawyer (yes, I know you are not marrried) for help on the property division aspects of the relationship. AttorneyPages.com lists a lot of good ones. I think a letter from a lawyer might scare her and/or move her to taking a more reasonable approach or moving to mediation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">