• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is itlegal for agents to enter my property without my knowledge?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

Precila

Please advice....

I have a one year lease on the property that I currently live in (expires on July 2000) the owner is selling this property but the problem I'm having is that on the lease contract states that a 4 hours notice is sufficient for any agent/broker to come in to show the house... (that's o.k with me)

But when agents/brokers call to let me know that they will be coming in to view property they leave a msg on my machine since I work I'm not there to hear my notice but when I come home I find out that all kinds of brokers have come into my house to show it.

I'm not even aware of this until is too late that they have come into my property... I have a minor at home which I don't feel confartable with having strangers coming into my house when I'm not around, I usually notify listing agent to make a note of brokers to make appointment with me the night before and for some reason these brokers do not even care about that and they just call in within minutes from the property and just pop in without my knowledge.

I have no problems having people coming into the property but when I'm expecting them and I even come home early from work to be there for them to view it.

Here are my questions/concerns....

When a broker/realtor calls in to give advanced notice to tenants about viewin the property, is it legal for them to enter my house without my confirmation (since I'm not home.. I'm at work)? I always give them the option to come and view property the next day to those brokers that call in the evenings.

Also, the listing agent will not make a note on the msl listing about the lease currently on this property, therefore nobody is aware that this property won't be able to be moved into until 6 months from now.. Is this ok for the listing agent to hide from prospects?

Bottom line, is the advced notice from brokers to come and view the property concider a notice whether I'm here to answer the phone or not?

Is there a place where I can get help or complain about this (brokers, tentants right)?

Please advice...

M

Marcia M

First get a big poster made at kinkos -- a huge one -- and put it up on the wall that this property is leased until 7/2000, and put the same sign on the lawn. (That will discourage most buyers and thus agents.)

Second, write a nice letter to all the realtors stating the concerns you posted. But add that there is a notice requirement (don't say what the requirement is) and you will sue anyone not meeting that for tresspass.

Third, tell the landlord you want out, and payment for the cost of moving, as he has countenanced a serious and ongoing set of breaches of your lease. You may also want to consult a lawyer and the real estate board for advice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">