• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbor's tree limbs over my roof/property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

Bres

My neighbor has large pine trees that have grown directly over my roof, very little of the limbs are over their property, most of the limbs are over my roof. I had 14 pines removed from my property due to the hazard they were creating, not to mention the mess. I just purchased the home and my neighbor has not been coperative in any manner so far. Is there any body of law that I can turn to for support in this matter. Thanks in advance for your time.

L

LorettaL

As a general rule, trees belong to the owner of the property on which they are growing but one generally has the right to trim or cut back any branches or limbs that are overhanging on his/her property. So you are probably ok just cutting down the offending branches. Before doing so, 1) you might want to contact the city attorney's office and see if they have any regulations regarding overgrowing tree limbs (they might consider them a hazard and make the landowner cut them down) or 2) contact your homeowner's insurance agent and ask him/her if the ins. co. could contact the other person's ins. co. and make them aware of the situation "because if one of those limbs were to fall down they might harm the roof and result in a claim that was utterly avoidable."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">