• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

51 in 45 zone (stated as 35)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sashir

What is the name of your state? CA

I was cited for, according to the offcer who stopped me, driving at 51 mph in a 35 mph zone. This is what it is stated as on my citation.

But, actually, the speed limit at the address on my citation is 45 mph. But, there is a sign that says "35 zone ahead" a little ahead of the intersection the officer said he clocked me. I had not yet gone into the 35 mph zone.
The speed limit would be 35, only after I crossed over into the 35 mph zone right? And not right after the "35 zone ahead" sign?

So, would it be best to contest this citation on the grounds that I was in fact in a 45 mph zone, and not in a 35?

rmet4nzkx

sashir said:

I was cited for, according to the offcer who stopped me, driving at 51 mph in a 35 mph zone. This is what it is stated as on my citation.

But, actually, the speed limit at the address on my citation is 45 mph. But, there is a sign that says "35 zone ahead" a little ahead of the intersection the officer said he clocked me. I had not yet gone into the 35 mph zone.
The speed limit would be 35, only after I crossed over into the 35 mph zone right? And not right after the "35 zone ahead" sign?

So, would it be best to contest this citation on the grounds that I was in fact in a 45 mph zone, and not in a 35?
Yes you can contest this, take pictures that show where the different singage and markings are, what the road contitions were, also ask for the traffic survey for that section of road, you are allowed to be within a certain percentage of the average speed, the survey should be current within a certain date, so it is very possible to get it dismissed if 6mph put you within the allowable range of the speed survey or at least make a lesser degree <10mph over. You may need to ask for this ahead of time.

Here are some of the VC references to it, I couldn't find the one with the allowance,
22357. (a) Whenever a local authority determines upon the basis of
an engineering and traffic survey that a speed greater than 25 miles
per hour would facilitate the orderly movement of vehicular traffic
and would be reasonable and safe upon any street other than a state
highway otherwise subject to a prima facie limit of 25 miles per
hour, the local authority may by ordinance determine and declare a
prima facie speed limit of 30, 35, 40, 45, 50, 55, or 60 miles per
hour or a maximum speed limit of 65 miles per hour, whichever is
found most appropriate to facilitate the orderly movement of traffic
and is reasonable and safe. The declared prima facie or maximum
speed limit shall be effective when appropriate signs giving notice
thereof are erected upon the street and shall not thereafter be
revised except upon the basis of an engineering and traffic survey.
This section does not apply to any 25-mile-per-hour prima facie limit
which is applicable when passing a school building or the grounds
thereof or when passing a senior center or other facility primarily
used by senior citizens.
(b) This section shall become operative on the date specified in
subdivision (c) of Section 22366.

22357.1. Notwithstanding Section 22357, a local authority may, by
ordinance or resolution, set a prima facie speed limit of 25 miles
per hour on any street, other than a state highway, adjacent to any
children's playground in a public park but only during particular
hours or days when children are expected to use the facilities. The
25 mile per hour speed limit shall be effective when signs giving
notice of the speed limit are posted.

22358. (a) Whenever a local authority determines upon the basis of
an engineering and traffic survey that the limit of 65 miles per hour
is more than is reasonable or safe upon any portion of any street
other than a state highway where the limit of 65 miles per hour is
applicable, the local authority may by ordinance determine and
declare a prima facie speed limit of 60, 55, 50, 45, 40, 35, 30, or
25 miles per hour, whichever is found most appropriate to facilitate
the orderly movement of traffic and is reasonable and safe, which
declared prima facie limit shall be effective when appropriate signs
giving notice thereof are erected upon the street.
(b) This section shall become operative on the date specified in
subdivision (c) of Section 22366.

sashir

more info

Thanks for the information, rmet4nzkx!
Also, I forgot to mention that the "weather, road & traffic conditions" section of my citation states : "Night, Wet, Heavy"

Would this have any impact when I contest it?

CdwJava

sashir said:

Well, it might not be AS bad, but you will still have to confess to 51 in a 45.

- Carl

sashir

This happened in the evening on Dec 31st. And as far as I can recall, the traffic was not heavy, so I have no clue why he wrote that on the citation.

Also, on the ticket, in the section which states the code and section that has been violated, he has written " *WARNED* ", and had said to me that this was a warning.

What does this mean? Does it mean that it is really not a citation ? And if so, would it affect my driving record, and "points"?

Thanks for your help!

CdwJava

sashir said:
This happened in the evening on Dec 31st. And as far as I can recall, the traffic was not heavy, so I have no clue why he wrote that on the citation.

Also, on the ticket, in the section which states the code and section that has been violated, he has written " *WARNED* ", and had said to me that this was a warning.

What does this mean? Does it mean that it is really not a citation ? And if so, would it affect my driving record, and "points"?

Thanks for your help!
If there is a court date listed, be there! If not, then it may be safe to say that you received a written warning.

Or, if there is more than one offense on the citation, he may have warned you for the violation upon which "Warned" is written and still cited you for another violation.

- Carl

sashir

Thanks Carl and rmet4nzkx. There is only 1 citation on the ticket. He wrote "22350 VC Basic Speed Law" and marked it as an "Infarction".

Yes. He wrote a court date (a month from the date of citation) but then crossed it off.

When I called the court, the clerk told me that they have not received any information about my citation yet, but that it could take 7 to 8 weeks until I receive my "courtesy notice" in the mail. She also said that my courtesy notice will have the date and time to appear in court, and that I could ignore the date and time on my citation.

I am confused what to do. I do not want this to appear on my driving record / points , if possible.

Last edited:

rmet4nzkx

Go to the agency that issued the citation, tell them the court doesn't have it yet and you want to know if it is just a written warning or what since the date was crossed off and it says "warning" If they can't tell you, take it in person to the court. Keep us updated. If you don't get a notice go on the original date, just to be safe. Also, your county may have an online traffic violation access for you to search.

sashir

I contacted the clerk at the court a few days back, and asked them about this citation. She said that the citation does not appear in her records yet, and that it could take upto 3-5 weeks for it to happen. (It used to take about 2 weeks earlier, but since they began outsourcing it, it now takes much longer).

She said that if I did not receiive my "courtesy notice" within a couple of weeks, I should call them again to confirm whther the citation was actually filed or not.

sashir

It appears that they do not have my citation on their records, so perhaps it really was a written warning.

Nevertheless, I will drop by the court sometime soon to make sure.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">