• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lease Contract - General Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sandymellen

I am a 44 year old divorced female in Illinois. My home is in my name only, but I have a domestic partner who lives with me and shares the expenses. He has health insurance with a domestic partner clause that requires us to own a home together or be jointly listed on a lease. My question is: Can I be the lessor AND a joint lessee with him on a lease in order to get around this requirement? Thank you for any help you can give me. -Sandy

L

LorettaL

It sounds pretty shaky to me. It sounds as if you want the benefits of "domestic partnership" without any of the liabilities. The purpose of domestic partner benefits is to recognize that two people who have chosen to share their lives (and the risks thereof) without being married should be entitled to recieve some of the benefits that married people do; you really seem to be trying to have it both ways; either add him to the title -- you can have an attorney draft up an enforceable contract to protect your interests and different investments in the property -- or rent another property together -- or don't try and collect benefits off his insurance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">